fun facts from behind
Top 10 tips for growing strong, beautiful nails!
POSTED BY Rosemary ON Feb 2nd, 2012
Written By: Rosemary Seguin CNP, NNCP
As a nutritionist I’m often asked “how do I make my nails strong and beautiful?” Now this usually comes from my female clients, but men take note because gals like guys with nice healthy nails too!! Plus, if your nails aren’t looking so great, there is an underlining nutritional deficiency happening so pay attention.
If you are experiencing nails that break, chip or split easily (without much force) your liver probably needs some TLC! And when I say TLC I really mean, HELP! But who’s liver doesn’t? It’s, in my opinion, your most important organ as it filters EVERYTHING! Therefore, it’s the most overburdened.
When your liver is not functioning optimally your body is unable to absorb essential fatty acids (EFA’s) optimally (you know the good fats like omega 3, 6, 9, EPA and DHA). Those good fats are essential to healthy, strong nails! Furthermore, it can also be a sign of zinc, calcium and/or protein deficiencies!
Here are My TOP 10 Solutions for healthy, beautiful, strong nails!
1) Take Milk Thistle – either in capsule form or liquid tincture form. You can get it at most health food stores. Just follow the recommended dosage on the package as all brands are different.
o Milk thistle is a powerful herb, very well known for detoxifying and regenerating the liver. There are no known side effects, it’s completely natural and safe, I use it myself!
o Take for a minimum 3 weeks, to start seeing improvements in health and nail quality.
2) Avoid fatty, poor quality foods like “junk” food and refined carbs like breads, pasta, crackers and white rice. As well as alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. These will all affect the liver!
3) Use all natural cleaning and personal care products. You want to avoid chemicals and toxins from being absorbed and inhaled into the body. These products will overload your liver, making it work really hard to filter out all the chemicals your throwing at it. That goes for nail polish too! Opt for a non toxic water based polish like Piggy Paint. That’s the one I use.
4) Eat lots of Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts and lots of leafy green vegetables like kale, collards and swiss chard.
5) Eat whole grains like millet, oats (and not the instant kind!), spelt, kamut etc.
6) Eats seeds like, sesame, pumpkin, chia and ground flax.
7) Eat sea vegetables like Nori (the black stuff they wrap sushi rolls with).
8 ) Only eat hormone and antibiotic free or certified organic chicken and meat.
9) Take 1 tablespoon of flax oil per day or a teaspoon of high quality, professional grade fish oil.
· 10) You can also opt for additional support by taking a zinc supplement in either a citrate or picolinate form 15mg – 30mg per day. Zinc is not only great for your nails but its’ also great for your skin, acne, stretch marks and boosting your immune system.
So there you have it! My personal top 10 list to beautifying your nails!