fun facts from behind
Will carbohydrates make you gain weight?
POSTED BY Rosemary ON Feb 23rd, 2012
Written By: Rosemary Seguin CNP, NNCP
These days’ there is so much talk of restricting carbohydrates in order to lose weight. Well, I have news for you, restricting any major nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins or fats) from your diet is never a healthy choice.
If you’re talking about restricting the “bad” carbohydrates like white processed breads, pasta’s, pastries, sugars and junky snack foods like chips then I definitely day YES…restrict them as much as you can!!! Those are the carbs that will pack on the pounds, make you tired and can lead to disease.
But I’m not talking about those carbohydrates today. I’m talking about wholesome, nourishing, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Those are the sources of carbohydrates you should be eating daily. Those sources will not make you gain weight. In fact they may even do the opposite!
Carbohydrates play a major role in keeping us healthy and functioning well. Here are some of the most important reasons to always include “natural” sources of carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables and whole grains) in your daily diet.
1) Carbohydrates are the BEST source of energy for your body including every organ, muscle and your entire nervous system (brain, spinal cord and all the nerves that connect them to each other).
2) It’s the best source of energy for endurance athletes. With limited carbohydrates your body would not be able to function optimally!
3) Carbohydrates regulate the metabolism of proteins and fats and regulate our thyroid function. This indirectly helps our bodies to fight off infections and promotes tissue growth.
4) Carbohydrates are rich in fiber helping to regulate bowel function.
5) Carbohydrates are a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
6) Carbohydrates help promote the absorption and retention of calcium.
7) Carbohydrates encourage the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine keeping our gut happy and healthy!
So next time you think about eliminating or restricting your carbohydrate intake be sure it’s only the “bad” kind! For detiled information on what types of wholesome grains you should be eating check out my post on super nourishing energy grains.