fun facts from behind
Super Charge your Metabolism with these 10 Fat Burning Foods & Drinks!
POSTED BY Rosemary ON Mar 28th, 2012
Written by: Rosemary Seguin CNP, NNCP
With the warmer weather fast approaching, the gym magically get’s busier and I get more people asking me about weight loss. Coincidence? Probably not. No one wants to try on last year’s summer clothes to find out that they are too tight. Unfortunately, our cold winter months of hibernation and inactivity for many Canadians brings on a few extra pounds.
Spring is a perfect time to eat lighter, rejuvenate your cells and metabolism and lose those winter pounds! The best place to start is your diet. So I’m going to share with you my top 10 foods/drinks that will super charge your metabolism and help you burn more calories and fat!
1) Cayenne Pepper – It’s been studied and proven that cayenne pepper will stimulate your metabolism by about 20% and cleanse fat out of your arteries.
2) Salsa – The hotter the better! This little condiment gem also stimulates your metabolism by about 15-20%. But don’t be fooled into thinking you can pair it with a bag of fried tortilla chips! However, salsa is fantastic on chicken breast, fish, baked potatoes, veggies (I love it on cauliflower and broccoli), beans and eggs. Be creative.
3) Green Tea (hot or cold) – Studies show that green tea reduces your craving for sugar and decreases the amount absorbed into your blood. A cup of green tea before or with your meal enhances carbohydrate digestion, moving the food through your digestive system more quickly.
4) Apple cider vinegar drink – One of the best fat burners out there! The way to take is to add 1 ½ tsp of apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) to a glass of filtered water. Do this twice a day just before breakfast and just before dinner for 3 weeks. Go off for one week then resume your potent cocktail again for 3 weeks. Keep alternating 3 weeks on and 1 week off for as long as you like. This works especially well for those that just can’t seem to lose that last 10lbs.
5) Potent calorie burning cocktail – A glass of tomato juice, with a pinch of Tabasco and cayenne. Stir with a celery stick and voila, you’ve got yourself one amazing calorie cremating, energy boosting drink!
6) Celery – Once your finished chugging back your calorie burning cocktail, don’t forget to eat your celery stick. It takes more energy for your body to absorb and digest it than the calories it provides. Celery helps to flush out fat and clams your nerves when stressed.
7) Brussels sprouts – If you love brussels sprouts like I do you’re in luck. Research has proven that a diet rich in brussles sprouts and cabbage improves the functioning of your metabolism. They are also very high in vitamin C, and are one of the richest sources of protein than any other vegetable.
8 ) Spinach – Spinach has not only been praised as the king of vegetables due to its high iron, beta carotene, vitamin C and E content it also revs up your metabolism and helps burn fat. Eat it raw in a salad or lightly steamed to retain its nutrients.
9) Grapefruit – It’s actually a proven fact that grapefruit dissolves fat and helps lowers cholesterol. Try sprinkling it with cinnamon for added health benefits and to take the tart taste away. If you must, you can add a little raw honey or maple syrup to add some sweetness. As an appetizer you can sprinkle with cinnamon and broil for a few minutes.
10) Fatty Fish or Flax oil – Not all fats make you fat. These “good” fats actually help you to burn fat! Omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon, tuna, sea bass and other fatty fish as well as flax oils or fish oils increase your metabolism, decrease excess fluid in your body and increase energy levels. If you’re not a fish eater, a tbsp of organic cold pressed flax oil per day or a tsp of high quality fish oil per day is the perfect way to get all the essential fatty acids you need daily.
So there you have it, my top 10 list for super charging your metabolism using healthy, nutrient dense foods and super powerful fat burning drinks. Include a different food or drink as part of your meals everyday!