fun facts from behind
My top 15 ways to use Chia Seeds
POSTED BY Rosemary ON May 11th, 2012
Written By: Rosemary Seguin CNP, NNCP
As a follow up to my last post “The Amazing Health Benefits of Chia Seeds” I promised I would share with you some of my favourite ways to use chia seeds and how to easily incorporate them into your daily diet and your kid’s diet too.
The amount you should consume per day is 1 – 2 tablespoons and ½ – 1 tablespoon for children.
Because chia seeds are fairly tasteless, they can truly be added to so many different foods and meals. Here are my top 15 ways I like to use chia seeds:
I make a Chia Gel first before adding to following:
1. Add a tablespoon to your favourite smoothie, blend and enjoy immediately (kid approved)
2. Mix chia gel into yogourt (kid approved)
3. Mix chia gel into applesauce (kid approved)
4. Puree your favourite mix of fruit, add plain yogourt (optional) and mix in a tablespoon of chia gel (Kid approved)
For the following you can just add the chia seeds dry without making a gel:
5. Add to soups or stews to thicken
6. Grind seeds, add to hot milk let sit until milk gets absorbed and turns into a porridge. Add your favourite dried fruits or granola mix on top, or stir in your favourite protein powder….delish. (kid approved)
7. Add seeds to salad dressings
8. Add to beaten eggs, soak for 10 minutes and make an omelette.
9. Sprinkle seeds over a salad
10. Add whole seeds to granola (kid approved)
11. Top a cheesecake with chia seeds soaked in fruit juice to make a gel topping (kid approved)
12. Mix into cooked brown rice
13. Mix white chia seeds that have been soaked in milk or milk alternative (I use almond or rice milk) into mashed potatoes (kid approved)
14. Mix ground seeds with organic butter or your favourite nut butter (I use almond butter) for a nutritious spread (kid approved)
15. My absolute favourite way to use chia seeds: Make Chocolate Strawberry Chia Pudding! It’s very similar in texture to a tapioca pudding. So if you like Tapioca you’ll LOVE this. (totally kid approved!)
Chocolate Strawberry Chia Pudding:
Ingredients: (Makes 2 servings)
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup chocolate rice milk or almond milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. pure cocoa powder
1-2 tsp. raw honey (optional)
1/2 cup chopped strawberries (to garnish on top)
Truwhip (dairy free whipped cream to garnish) (optional)
Place milk, vanilla, cocoa and honey into a blender or food processor until all ingredients are completely combined.
Pour milk mixure into a bowl, add chia seeds and stir until seeds are combined and completely submerged in the liquid. Leave out for about 45min-1hour for it to thicken and all the liquid is absorbed.
Place in the fridge. When ready to serve top with strawberries and for some added fun you can also add whipped cream (I use the dairy free Truwhip).
The more you use chia seeds, the more ways you will find to add them to your diet.
I would love to hear of your unique ways of using chia seeds.